I made the mistake of getting into a political conversation on Ravelry…my safe place. What the heck was I thinking?
But, in fact, I’ve learned quite a bit and thought I should share!
1) Whatever statistics you post, someone will have statistics pointing to the opposite.
2) If people ask for your opinion, they don’t really want it. They want to pick it apart and criticize it.
3) Be careful when posting large quantities of information in one thread. People like to pick and choose what they see you saying and blend it together into something that completely misses the point.
4) No matter what you say, what you read, or how willing you are to learn and discuss, there are people who will always think that they are right and you are wrong. Read what they post and still don’t change your mind? They get downright nasty sometimes.
5) I’m never talking politics again. Seriously.
Well, at least I learned that much.
The thing is, I got involved in the conversation not to change anyone’s mind, but to make other people see my point of view. They didn’t like that.
It’s funny to me, though, that some people who are so in favor of free thinking only want me to make up my own mind if I agree with them.
Ah, the irony of it all.
Back to knitting I go.